Monday, December 21, 2015

Sniffle Sniffle

It's that time of year...you know...that time of year that all humans wish they could avoid.

No - not Christmas. I have no beef with Christmas.

Yeeessss, now you're catching on. COLD SEASON!

It's that time of year when I wonder what people without children are doing. Are they snuggled up in front of their laptop netflix'ing with popcorn, all warm in a nice throw, sipping some kind of lemon tea? 

This is what I am doing to get through the season. I am getting up 8x per night between the three older kids, every twenty minutes with my seven month old, counting down each and every minute until help gets home from work to pull the short shift and not caring that I can't find a bra...who the heck cares...LET 'EM HANG! 

I'm also freezing a bit at night while my infant enjoys a nice snuggle-bug thingy that keeps her warm while exposing her face to cool air at night to limit her coughing. I'm in bed trying to snuggle up to my other half, while he is pushing me away because I am too warm. At least in an hour, a child will be up screaming at me that they want water, and then that they have to pee, so I'll just give up and camp out in bed with them for the half hour in between the water and pee breaks. 

I'm pretty lucky though, it is the time of giving...

Every single night, my children all give me gifts of buggers, snot (yes there is a difference), drool, germs...but most importantly, they give me the satisfaction of knowing even though we are all pretty miserable...I'm the only one who can make them feel better. 

The feeling when they wrap themselves around me, and instantly hit a light sleep again before mumbling a request...that moment...that moment makes me realize that every sniffle is totally amazing. Every cough, sore throat, every time I reposition the thermometer in their mouths (ya know...because keeping it under the tongue, keeping their mouth closed, and NOT talking is VERY difficult)...it's everything I signed up for and my payment are the precious moments when they are in my arms...the moments that they won't even remember in the morning. 

So...cold season...you may think you have the upper hand...and what I'll keep to myself is, YOU are what makes me feel like super woman every single night.

I'll let you think you're winning though....


No comments:

Post a Comment